- Why smokers think it’s ok to throw their butts out their car windows as if their butts aren’t FLAMING LITTER! It’s dangerous, rude, and bad for the environment.
- Fax machines. I can wrap my head around scanners and copiers, but fax machines straight up blow my mind.
- How my hair grows so fast until I’m actually trying to grow it out.
- If you stop shaving your legs will the hair grow down to the ground or stop at some predetermined length?
- How some people go for sooo long without going on vacation. Even if it’s just for a couple days, you GOTTA get away! Make some memories!
- Why our pugs aren’t bald. I swear they shed all their hair then regrow it daily!
I don’t feel my age. Although really, if you think about it, what should 36 really feel like? I’ve been thinking of the whole age thing since I saw Up in the Air. Afterward I looked up the movie on IMDB. That’s when I learned of Vera Farmiga‘s age. I think Vera is absolutely beautiful, but I was surprised to learn that I am 3 days older than her. I was also surprised when I learned Chelsea Handler‘s age. I’m 2 years older than her! She’s only 34. I think Chelsea is beautiful too, just not really 34 years old looking. The last time I was at my hair salon another customer asked how old I was and was surprised when I told her I’m 36. When my mom was 36 she was a mother of 3, two of us were already teenagers. My mom’s always looked young for her age, but I still feel like she was so much more grown up at 36 than I am. I mean, I’m responsible and all that. We own a home, we pay our bills, I had a job from the time I was 15 til just a couple years ago. But I just don’t feel like I thought 36 would feel.
I also don’t feel like I look how I thought 36 would look. I think my friends and I all turned out pretty young looking, and that includes bloggy & twitter friends. I’m not going to post all y’all’s pictures here, you know what you look like. And you look good! So here we are, a whole generation of young looking and young feeling people. Not just girls either, CSP still looks like a young stallion. I’d post a pic of him but he always looks drugged and tired in pictures so it wouldn’t really help my point here.
Also, I don’t have old interests. I’m not a huge fan of sitting around debating politics (although I will). I’m still into glitter and cute stuff and being a girl. Here’s a real life example of how I’m basically just a giant girl child…I received a text from my aunt regarding Easter dinner plans: “I’ll have unsweet tea with Splenda and I found you some cool straws.” I wonder if becoming a mother will make me feel my age, or if I’ll still be the same me, just with a mini me running around? (I’m hoping for the latter!)
I’d like to share more of my loves with you. Ready? Ok.
- Lauren Graham. LOVE her. I think she’s beautiful, just beautiful. And fun. I wanna have game night with her. Love her in her new show Parenthood. Great cast all around in that show.
- Zoe’s little back feet. They rank right up there as 2 of my most favorite things in the world. They are tiny and soft and squishy and she lets me squish them and rub them and hold them while she sleeps.
- Movies. Love, love, love going to the movies. Love the pre-movie ritual of loading up on candy at the Dollar Store then stuffing all of it in my purse to sneak in. I love the previews. I love staying through the credits at the end. My favorite place to sit is in the row with those rails so we can put our feet up. I can’t wait to dress up in our pajamas and take our kidlets to the movies. We are very lucky that the movie theatre near us only costs $5 each if you go anytime Monday- Thursday. My family is made up of lots of movie lovers so there’s always someone to go a matinee with. Surprisingly though CSP is not a huge going to the movie fan. He would rather watch dvds at home, which is also fun. Snuggling with the pugs on the sofa. After I watch each movie I always go to IMDB and read all the trivia about it.
- Starbucks Dark Cherry Mocha. Oh Em Gee. If I could buy this by the gallon I would. It’s like a chocolate covered cherry, but not too sweet. I can’t wait to try it in the frappe form. Because of this drink I am now the mayor (love getting a crown!) of my local Starbucks on Foursquare. Now, the photo of the Dark Cherry Mocha on the Starbucks site is shown in a glass mug. That makes me gag. I can not stand hot drinks in see through glass containers. Vomit. I have no idea why but it creeps me out sooo much.
- Free Samples. I’m a sucker. I get at least one a week in the mail. I get an email each day that takes me to links for free samples. CSP can’t stand it because it means our names are on lists all over the junk mail world but I just love a free sample. I love anything mini. Just found out I also love Burt’s Bees new toothpaste because of the free sample! By the way, CSP is convinced the company is called Burt’s Beeswax.
- Fruity Margaritas.
- This picture. Brings me joy and makes me laugh every time I see it.
Peach and mango are my faves. They are my downfall. Because of my insulin resistance I’m on meds that mean I’m not supposed to drink any large amounts of alcohol AND I process alcohol faster than most people. Plus I tend to suck those suckers down with a quickness. Translation: I’m a cheap drunk. One giant ‘rita like this and I’m a squinty, giggly fool.
I have a wish list at Amazon. I’m sure I’m the only person who has ever laid eyes on it, but it’s fun to have. It actually helps me save money. If I ever obsess over a cute thingy I just “shop” for it and add it to my list. Right now I’m all about flat opera wallets. Like this adorable wallet from Fluff. COME ON!!! How cute is this?!? I found it on eBay for a good bit less than it’s listed on Fluff’s site. So I did go ahead and treat myself to this since I needed a wallet. I would love one to go in my Fall/Winter purse. This one is on my wish list: Now I’m not normally into pug themed items, but when said item is as cute as this I just can’t help myself! I’ve apparently rubbed off on CSP because he’s obsessing a wee bit as well. Ever since Christmas he’s been going on and on about Le Creuset Dutch Ovens. His parents received one as a present and it is amazing. Plus they come in fabulous colors like this one: Love it!
We’ve talked about those grammatically incorrect words & phrases that annoy us (Could care less, etc.). These are grammatically correct phrases that annoy me:
- Gave up for adoption. Let me tell you something right now, any child that has been PLACED FOR ADOPTION has NEVER been given up on. It takes an incredible amount of courage and selflessness to make an adoption plan for your child. Adoptive parents may not know everything about their children’s birth parents but one thing they do know is that terminating parental rights (in most cases) is no easy decision. Allowing your child to be adopted is one of the most loving things you can do. Just think about it, you’re hoping and praying and trusting that your child will now have a better life than the one you could give him. That is NOT giving up on your child.
- Your Own. As in “child of your own”. As in “Oh, since you’re adopting does that mean you can’t have kids of your own?” Implying that our children will be something less than legitimate or not wholly loved because they are adopted. They aren’t rentals, people! They are as much our own as any child we could have given birth to. Please erase that phrase from your vocabulary.
- Seed. Like Duke is the third seed in the basketball tournament. ( I don’t know what their real position is, just using them as an example). The word “seed” makes no sense to me here. Seat would make more sense. Like how violinists are first chair and whatnot. The seed thing always drives me nuts this time of year.
- Sleeping together. Or “I slept with him”, etc. WE ALL KNOW there was no sleeping involved so call a spade a spade! That’s like me saying I went out racing every time I get in the car to run errands. I may never get my car over 45 miles an hour in town but I’m telling people I went racing? Say what you mean!!! I bet you weren’t even tired!
What phrases/sayings get on your nerves?
When you adopt you have to provide a TON of very personal information to your agency, your case worker, the state, tons of people. It makes you take a very close look at yourself. I’d say I’ve always been fairly self-aware but lately I have started to notice that I have some weird tendencies.
- When I dab on my cuticle oil in my head I make this noise every time when I touch the brush to each nail. Banga, banga, banga.
- When I put on my makeup I host an infomercial in my head. I go through each step and help viewers with their day or evening looks. I provide valuable tips.
- I sing in the car. Loudly. And I swear to you, when I’m alone and singing with the iPod or radio, I sound fantastic. As soon as someone else starts listening I go completely tone deaf. It’s the darnedest thing!
I am also aware of my faults. I am:
- annoyed easily by stupidity (stupidity, not ignorance. Ignorance can be overcome by learning.)
- convinced that if people would just do what I say then they’d be much happier and better off in general.
- a bit lazy
- horrible at time management
I’m working on these things so I can be a good parent, but some are just ingrained in me because I am a classic textbook Leo. And you can’t fight the stars!
What are your little quirks?
But why? I’m always very interested to find out why people live where they do. What made you decide to live there? So why do you live where you do?
As for me…I grew up in SC. When I was 16 my mom married Momo’s dad. He worked in Charlotte so we packed up and moved to Charlotte. I’ve been here ever since. I’ve never lived in a city by my own choice. Sure, CSP & I close to live in the various suburbs of Charlotte, and I’m so glad we moved to Charlotte or I would have never met CSP. Coincidentally, CSP moved here within 2 weeks of my family. His dad got a job here and they packed up and moved here the day after CSP graduated high school. Ah, fate. I think all this is why we’re so keen on moving to Knoxville one day. Because we choose to go there, circumstances aren’t taking us there.
Anyway, so why are you where you are?
11 years ago today CSP & I became inseparable. This is how it happened… I have been friends with my BIL, Marc, since 1992. Our group of friends would go on a fun trip once a year or so. Well in 1998 we chose to take a 7 day cruise to the Southeast Caribbean. Marc, Jackie, Landon, Amy, Kevin, & I signed up to go. I got a bonus at work and my tax return so I went ahead and paid for my portion of the trip. (All these odd details become important later, I swear) Marc & Jackie were dating when we booked the trip, but as the date of the cruise got closer they broke up. Continue reading
I won an award from Nevis. It’s for being a creative blogger! I also won an award from Pam. It’s for having a great attitude. There are simple rules…you merely have to list 6 things that make you happy. The only thing hard about that is narrowing it down to only six!
Okay, six things that make me happy are:
1. Chilling at home with my husband and pugs. All four of them make me laugh so much.
2. The moment I walk into my sister’s house. Jacob and Joey squeal with delight. “Aunt Shanny!!!” For a couple minutes a feel like a rock star.
3. Writing letters. The old fashioned kind. With pretty stationary and pens with fun colored ink.
4. Game night with my family. It always, always results in major belly laughs. You know, the ones where you actually go silent for a few seconds because you’re laughing that hard.
5. Trips. Travel. Planning for said trips and travel. Packing. Making lists. Doing research about the destination. Road trips-singing in the car flying down the highway. Airplanes. Hotels. Hotel toiletries. Welcome centers at the state lines. Maps. I love it all.
6. Makeup, lotions, potions. All the things that make being a girl so fun.
It seems that the way I live my life is really bothering people. And that is really bothering me. Continue reading