For dinner last night I made breakfast. I had a bunch of crescent rolls I needed to use so I made a sausage ring. The original recipe was some other sort of ring from Pampered Chef. I mixed up cream cheese and sausage one day and stuffed the ring as a variation on the original. CSP loves this recipe. It’s super easy peasy to make but looks like it took forever and is gorgeous. I think it makes a fabulous brunch dish.
What you’ll need:
- Round baking stone
- 16 crescent rolls. Pillsbury are the best.
- 1 package fresh sausage. I like Neese’s country sausage.
- 2 packages of cream cheese. The standard size box.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350*.
- Brown your sausage. Drain grease if any.
- Mix in both boxes of cream cheese. I know it seems like a lot of cheese but a good bit of the moisture will bake out of it.
- On your round stone, arrange 8 of the crescent rolls where the long ends are meeting corner to corner. They will make a ring like this. Click on all photos to enlarge.
- Open the other 8 crescent rolls. Line up the long ends of the crescent rolls with the long ends that are already down on the stone. You’re filling up the middle of the ring with these rolls.
- Spoon the sausage mixture where the long ends of the crescent rolls meet.
- Now pick up the pointy ends of the rolls from the middle of the pile first and lay the dough across the sausage. Tuck any loose ends under the ring.
- Your final ring should look something like this. Take any extra long pieces and fill in where there is lots of extra sausage poking out.
- You can brush the rolls with egg wash if you’d like. Some people even sprinkle more cheese on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350* or until golden brown. If you are being fancy and serving for brunch you can chef up some scrambled eggs and pile them up in the middle of the ring. Looks very nice. Garnish with parsley or dill if you’d like. Even some chopped tomatoes would be nice. You can make all sorts of variations on this ring. Make sloppy joe meat and bake it into the ring. Or chicken and broccoli. All are guaranteed to impress!