So I’m a couponer now. I haven’t gone whole hog yet with a big system, but I’m doing better each week. I’m getting better deals all the time and it’s pretty exciting to start with a GIANT subtotal then walk out paying less than $20.
Things I’m NOT doing:
- Going to more than one drug store. I’m a CVS girl and I just don’t have the time or desire to bounce around from drugstore to drugstore.
- Same with grocery stores. We use the one CSP works for and the one down the street from us, plus Aldi because you just can’t beat their prices even though the don’t take coupons.
- Turning my house into a mini grocery store. We do not have a pantry. We have precious little storage space. So while this week’s deals at CVS means we’re set for body wash and lotion for like 6 months, that’s about it. I can’t be buying 47 bottles of mustard just because they are only 12 cents. We just don’t have the room. We currently have 3 bottles of mustard but they all fit in the kitchen cabinets. I refuse to turn our guest room into a bomb shelter or store steak sauce under our future kidlet’s bed.
- Paying for coupons. It just seems counterintuitive to me.
- Buying 19 papers every Sunday. I buy one. There are just 2 of us for now. Maybe when the kidlet comes home and the demand for granola bars skyrockets then I’ll shell out for more than one paper.
- Dumpster diving. I am not judging. But I am a huge priss. I can not stand dirt. I understand that people throw out their coupons and it’s just money sitting in a bin somewhere but it’s just not worth it to me. Knowing my luck I’d get stuck and have to call CSP and NOBODY wants that drama again.
- Being as efficient as I know I could be.
Right now my system is very beginner coupon girl I know. I am currently using a little accordion file coupon organizer like this one from Carolina Pad (holla! Gotta represent my favorite local office supply company) for all my loose coupons. Then I make my lists and put all the coupons I plan on using at CVS or the grocery into zip loc bags labeled with the store name. Those are all held in a little notebook in my purse with a binder clip. Binder clips are my all time favorite office supply, by the way. I’ve seen/heard of a couple methods and I’m wondering which you all prefer. I’ve seen people use the big binder. I can totally see the pros and cons of using this system. But I’ve also heard of people just filing the entire coupon insert into an accordion or hanging file and going back to clip each coupon as they need it instead of clipping all at once. I also see pros and cons with this system. What do you use and why? Thank you for your help!